Cygnet Progress Report

Anything to do with the Chapter Project Cygnet SF-2A

Re: Cygnet Progress Report

Postby SpillariU » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 am

Wednesday 3/28/12
The right rear and left rear brackets for the fuselage wing-strut/landing gear have been produced out of 0.090 4130 stock and test fitted.
We tried using a band saw with a metal cutting blade, making sure to use enough cutting oil, but it was not as efficient as using a right angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel.
Mark Webster printed templates that we glued to the stock. We then drilled the required holes and cut the straight traces with the right angle grinder. Finally, we relived all the sharp cuts with a grinding wheel.
It was a very productive night and every body got their hands dirty. Hope next Wednesday you can get your hands dirty too.
SpillariU

Postby SpillariU » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Wednesday 4/4/12
We continue to advance in the production of the wing/fuselage attachment brackets and finished the bottom set. Eight pieces that will hold the landing gear and wing strut.
Mike Evans got really busy cutting, drilling and dressing the necessary pieces of 4130 steel and Mark Webster spent the night designing the rest of the brackets that we will be gibing shape on our next meeting.
Walter Tyler, our resident welder, will stop by the hanger this Friday and gibe us his input as to whether the brackets have the necessary tolerances to be welded.
I am trying to learn, with Christian’s patient tutelage, to post pictures that will accompany these reports. So stay tuned.
If you would like to get your hands dirty and get the immediate satisfaction of building part of an airplane, come join us next Wednesday. Let’s learn together.

SpillariU

Postby SpillariU » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

Wednesday 6/13/12
It was a busy night.
The hangar was filled with builder’s noises from three aircraft taking shape.
Mark Webster and Zack Fuhrman got busy at the lathe producing spacers that will be used between the wing attachment brackets as to make alignment easier. The spacers’ dimensions took in account both existing wing attachments and plans specs.
We found a stringer tubing missing on the vertical stabilizer, per plans. After consulting with engineers Murry Rozansky and Craig Coffin, it was decided to produce the missing part.
The tube was cut, but fitted and dressed by Isaac Previn and Alexander Bissell. Two enthusiastic young men that came to us via last month’s Young Eagles.
A fitting test of the landing gear and wing strut attachment was done. We are really pleased with the way all the parts came together and are really exited about the upcoming welding sessions.
SpillariU

Postby SpillariU » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 am

Wednesday 6/20/12
We had a busy night again.
The Left side brackets (main spar, incidence and landing gear) have been fitted and finished.
We started the right side and are almost done, we are hoping to finish all next Wednesday.
The brackets look stronger than the originals.
A deviation was found between the top fuselage longeron and the main spar load bearing tube at the fuselage. So the engineering expertise of Murry and Craig will be solicited.
The meeting was attended by Mike Evans, Isaac Previn, Alexander Bissell, Jeremy Hipert, Nate Handley and Mark Webster.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
SpillariU

Postby addicted2climbing » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:50 am

Progress report for 06/27/12

Another evening of working on the brackets. In previous meetings we made spacers to allow us to hold the brackets together at the correct spacing as we grind them to fit. We made the spacers with the distances per plan toemulate the attachment. Only problem is the wing is not exactly per plan. At the end of the evening, Mike and I decided to make sure the spacers fit the wing and we found that they were too wide. We then modified the length of each spacer to work with its corresponding wing attachment point. We were only able to get them finished for the wing that is easily accessible. I think its the left wing. Next week we need to pull the wings out and measure the attachment points of the right wing and modify the spacers as needed. A fixture needs to be made to emulate the exact attachment locations on each wing that we can then attach to our brackets to mkae sure they mate well to the fuselage before welding. Also due to a fuselage longeron being welded not per plan we need to make sure our incedence is correct before we weld. Due to the discrepencies we have found thus far we will probably need to do this per each wing individualy rather then just welding the brackets per plan.

Next evening meeting will be July 11th

Since July 4th is a holliday maybe we should plan a weekend work day so we can pull the wings and fuse out and check everything in the sunlight. July 7th or 8th?

Marc
addicted2climbing

Postby addicted2climbing » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:44 am

Hello All,

Another day working on the Cygnet. Carlos, Mike, Isaac, Alexander and Myslef worked. I designed a fixture to emulate the wing attachment points on both the fusleage as well as the fuselage attachment points. I printed the parts in a 3D printer Wednesday all day at work and they were finished at 6:00pm so I was a little late in getting to the hanger and arrived just as Carlos had to leave. Before I arrived, Carlos and others set the left wing up on a table so that we could work on assembling the fixtures. Isaac, Alexander and Mike tapped some holes in the parts while I got everything ready to assemble. I have some adjustment in the fixture nad set it up as it should be per the plans and luckily it then keyed into the wing correctly. Now we know at least the holes in the spar attacment and incidence attachment are where they should be per plans. I then used this fixture to build the second fixture that would be attached to the new brackets we are making. Mike and I then test fit the fixture with the new metal brackets attached and found that we are not as far off as I had thought. We still have the problemof one longeron being welded not per plans which is making it tough to get one side of the brackets to rotate into place. Due to th eplan discrepency, we will need to make a new bracket on each side where the longeron is incorrect. We can still use th eone we have and file and grind it to fit then use that one to make a new one with more material around where we filed away.

We learned a lot on this meeting and I think we can get ready to weld fairly quickly now that we have the fixtures. Also I plan to assemble the fixtures on a longer threaded rod so that I can aslo have another portion where it will also show the chord line refference to aid in setting the incidence just before we weld. Mike purchased a longer rod already and we tested the idea. We will need 3 more.

Also Mike had a great idea to rotate the fuselage up to level so we can work on each side in the correct orientation. He will be making that as well.

Anyhow below are pics of our progress with the fixtures..

Marc

Fixture Left 1.JPG
Fixture on Left Wing
addicted2climbing

Postby addicted2climbing » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 am

Here is anothe rpic of the fixture with brackets on the fuselage.

Marc

Fixture Left 2 smaller.JPG
Fixture on fusleage left side
addicted2climbing

Previous

Return to Cygnet SF-2A Chapter Project